When selecting an environmentally friendly water heater, obtain professional advice on what best suits your location, orientation of the house and accessibility. For instance if your house is surrounded by trees or it doesn’t have an adequate south facing roof for the solar panels then you may have to consider a heat pump or a gas water heater.
There are many options and sizes for energy efficient hot water heaters such as;
- Solar split systems which have the panels on the roof and the water storage tank on the ground.
- Roof mounted solar which has both panels and tank coupled together on the roof.
- Heat pump, which doesn’t need the sun to heat its water but draws the energy out of the atmosphere.
- Instantaneous gas, there is no storage tank.
- Gas storage water heater for those who’s homes are connected to the gas line