What are EV Charge Stations?
Electric Vehicle charge stations are the recharging point for electric vehicles. They supply electric energy to recharge plug in electric vehicles and plug in hybrid vehicles. They are either 240 volt AC or 500 volt DC currents.
There are several variations of stations which allow for single vehicle charge points or multiple vehicle charge points.
Types of EV Stations.
There are 2 Main types of EV charging.
1) Slow Charge, (also known as level 2) is typically 240 volt AC. These types of chargers can be installed at homes for owners of electric / hybrid vehicles.
2) Fast Charge, (also known as level 1) is 500 volt DC. These are typically installed in businesses and public charging areas. Recharging with this station is typically 30 minutes. A fee is typically associated with these stations.
EV Charging Stations can be directly connected to the “grid” (your local power company) or connected to Solar Panel Car Ports (photo voltaic) or a combination of both.
Direct Connection to Photo Voltaic Car Port systems is the “Greenest” solution because you are completely “off grid” only using the suns energy.
Safety features are built into all EV Charge Stations. There are 2 types of sensors which provide feedback to the EV station and will turn off the power at a predetermined range or when the vehicle no longer accepts a charge. Circuit breakers are also installed at connection points to the main power source which can be tripped.
Below is a chart depicting typical charge times for 1 electric vehicle on various charge stations.
|Single phase – 3,3 kW||230 VAC||16 A|
|Three phase – 10 kW||400 VAC||16 A|
|Single phase – 7 kW||230 VAC||32 A|
|Three phase – 24 kW||400 VAC||32 A|
|Three phase – 43 kW||400 VAC||63 A|
|20–30 minutes||Direct current – 50 kW||400 – 500 VDC||100 – 125 A|
As Electric and Hybrid Electric vehicles continue to expand in the marketplace so too will the need for EV Charge Stations. There will be a growing need for EV Stations at Shopping Malls, Grocery stores, restaurants, convenience stores, schools, universities and municipal buildings as well as curbside.
Electric Vehicles are the first vehicles in the history of fleet transportation that have a true Return On Investment payback due to not needing to purchase gas, oil, or heavy engine, transmission and coolant system maintenance ever again.
Going Green one step at a time will help positively impact our Global Environment as well as lesson our dependence on domestic and imported fossil fuels.
If you’re a business considering adding EV Charge Stations to your parking area, garage or store front, consider **SuperGreen Solutions first. We’re your Local, One Stop Energy Efficient Products Store offering a wide variety of Green Solution products to the Business Owner, Contractors and Home Owners.
Call your local SuperGreen Solutions Expert today to learn more.
E Station’s new ChargeStar’s
GeniePoint Platform receives a huge update with exciting new features.
ChargeStar are thrilled to announce a brand new update to it’s GeniePoint Platform from their software development team, ChargePoint Services. The new update will help you better track and analyze EV charge station data and enhance driver convenience.
New Feature Highlights include the following.
New Access admin and driver management platforms can be had across all mobile and desktop devices.
- We have a new responsive layout makes it easier than ever to access the platform from where ever you are on any device on mobile or desktop.
New! Custom SMS Driver Alerts
- Unit Sends SMS alerts to drivers automatically or when they interact with a charge station. You can even enable charging to be stopped with a simple reply via text.
New! Charge Station Mapping with Live Access
- You can see unit availability, status and pricing for every charger in the network in real time. E Station Driver’s can also start and stop charging remotely using their ChargeStar account.
New! Bring Your Own RFID Card
- We Offer the option of allowing all drivers to register for a new card, or register with any existing RFID card.
New! Flexible Payment Options
- Drivers can new Choose between post or pre-paid options with or without auto-topup capabilities.
Here are the main selling points for customers to choose E-Station:
- Made by Europe’s largest charge station manufacturer, Circontrol.
- E-Station offer the experience and advice from suppling EV charge stations since 2009.
- The E-Station range can suit all home and commercial situations, with chargers starting from $956.
- Drivers can charge faster than dealer EV charging plugs at home for greater flexibility.
- Stations are networkable via ethernet or 3G sim card for remote management.
- Stations can be swipe card enabled to securely control access.
- Stations come with a two year full replacement warranty.
- Equipment financing and leasing optional available for commercial projects.
- ChargeStar Genie driver management software can be installed to collect payment from drivers for power consumed.